15 September, 2009

"Rose Bud" Rings- Current Projects

Currently in the workshop we've been looking at casting as a technique. The "Rose Bud" Ring series are three rings that use the lost wax casting procedure. 

Beginning with a cut off from a long wax ring blank, I cut the three ring bases, sanding and polishing them into shape. Then, spinning a wax bud onto a length of copper rod from a melted pool, I created the rose buds that are fused into the "stone" position. 

After investing the pieces into a plaster cast, the wax was then melted out forming a perfect ring-shaped cavity. Molten silver poured into this cavity and presto! Three fantastic, unique rings. 



This is what they looked like after I removed all the sprues. They still needed cleaning up, and I'm thinking of casting them again in vulcanized rubber so make multiples. Also, I want to patina the buds so that they look as red as they do in the wax. Pretty, no?





No comments:

Post a Comment